This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious and accomplished postdoctoral scientist to join the group of Professor George Vassiliou at the Cyprus Cancer Research Institute (CCRI) as Deputy Group Leader. The role will interact with Professor Vassiliou’s team at the University of Cambridge, UK.
Reports To: The Deputy Group Leader will report to Professor George Vassiliou (Group Leader).
Job Overview: The successful applicant will work closely with the Group Leader to oversee the group’s activities, whilst also pursuing their own research projects under Prof Vassiliou’s supervision.
George Vassiliou is a Professor of Haematological Medicine at the University of Cambridge and his UK- based group, at the Cambridge Stem Cell Institute (www.stemcells.cam.ac.uk/vassiliou), is working at the forefront of research into the preclinical evolution, molecular pathogenesis and genetic vulnerabilities of acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) and related cancers. Their research is strongly translational and aims to develop novel therapies and early detection strategies for myeloid cancers.
Professor Vassiliou’s CCRI-based team (International Team Haematology) will interact closely, hold joint science meetings, and have reciprocal research placements with the Cambridge team, as required by individual research projects.
The Deputy Group Leader will be responsible for the overall coordination of the CCRI team on behalf of the Group Leader, with whom they will meet at least weekly. Deputising responsibilities are expected to constitute ~25% of the role, with the remaining 75% dedicated to hands-on research.
- Develop, drive and publish high quality research in the early detection, pathogenesis and treatment of pre-leukaemia and leukaemia
- Co-supervise and train postdoctoral fellows and PhD students, together with the Group Leader
- Line-manage research assistant staff
- Write scientific manuscripts and grant proposals
- Manage the laboratory’s day-to-day activities, protocols and procedures
- PhD in Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Cancer Research, Computational Biology or a related field.
Specialist knowledge and skills:
- At least 4 years postdoctoral experience in a relevant field.
- Expertise in haematology, cancer research, epigenetics or genetic screening will be an asset
- Good understanding of the biology of normal and malignant haematopoietic stem cells
- Experience in grant and manuscript writing
- Strong publication record
- Experience in supervising others and leadership capabilities
- Enthusiasm, honesty, integrity, dedication and hard-working ethos
- Ability to think critically, work independently and communicate ideas
- Ability to work in a team and value others
Fluency in English is essential. Fluency in Greek will be considered an advantage.
Employment Type: Fixed Term Contract for 6 years in total (4 + 2 years after successful evaluation) with possibility of further extension.
Location: The Deputy Group Leader will be based in Nicosia, Cyprus.
Remuneration: The annual gross salary is €42,000
Closing Date: 12th May 2021
All applicants should:
1. Submit a Curriculum Vitae (CV).
2. Submit a Cover letter where they will state the date when he/she may be able to assume duties in the event of selection.
3. Shortlisted candidates may be asked to submit contact details for the provision of References.
All applications should be submitted via email at mentioning the job position code:
CCRI_21_JP-2101 with email Subject: “Application [full name] for the position code CCRI_21_JP-2101”
All applicants will receive a confirmation email after their application submission with a unique reference number.
Cyprus Cancer Research Institute (C.C.R.I.)
1 University Avenue, 2109 Aglantzia, Nicosia, Cyprus
Tel.: +357 22 894376
Informal enquiries about the research project are welcomed and should be addressed to Professor George Vassiliou ( )
The text of this Call for Applications can be found on the below pdf file.